February 29, 2004
Black and white
So it's snowing again. My sensible side, of course, was saying "You can't go outside now, it's past midnight! The snow will still be there tomorrow! You'll catch a cold! Besides, it's too dark to see much right now". While my childish side went, "...but it's snowing!"
Guess which one won. ;)
Continue reading "Black and white"
¤ 12:24 AM ¤
Comments (0) ¤
February 28, 2004
Today's amusement: fun with public announcements
- Local US TV station allows anybody to send in their own reports of closings due to snow, but didn't think to check them before airing them. Some of the results.
- Announcers tricked into saying, well, things they would never have said otherwise, under the pretense that they were foreign names.
¤ 05:28 PM ¤
Comments (0) ¤
February 24, 2004
Grey and white
"Well, weren't you the one who wanted snow?"
Continue reading "Grey and white"
¤ 03:19 PM ¤
Comments (4) ¤
February 23, 2004
How to make me dislike you
(Winged - now with added grumpiness. Sorry but I need to rant. ;)
1. Assumptions are stupid. I will think you are an idiot if you assume that, just because I help run an IRC network, I am:
- knowledgeable on all aspects of running the aforementioned IRC network, including coding IRCd and services, server config editing, and so on and so forth. Because I don't. I've only messed twice with a server's config, and both times I had word-by-word command-by-command instructions and somebody holding my hand via email, and I was still terrified of screwing up (especially since I'd been given the root password. meep.)
I am not the l33t all-knowing oper. Nobody is. That's why most networks have teams of opers that do different things - some do coding, some run servers, some teach, some deal with users, and so on. So, if I don't know enough to help you out, do your own research or ask somebody else, don't whine that I "should know these things".
- available to help any random person that wanders by with setting up their very own IRC server. Frankly, why should I? This may sound selfish, but you're not setting up a server to link to Serenity-IRC, are you? So really, I have better things to do with my time.
- willing to go bug other opers who know the things I don't know, just so you can set up your very own IRC server. You're too lazy to read the documentation that comes with the pre-made IRCd and services you're using (or to ask your coder if you're using custom stuff)? Your problem, not mine. Especially since some of the other opers are even busier than I am, and have better things to do with their time (see previous comment about helping setting up a server that's not gonna be linked to Serenity-IRC).
2. "English-speaking network" means the official language of the network is English. Yes, I'm Italian. No, I don't mind having to speak English. No, I don't feel annoyed at "having to work only with people from the USA", we're from all over the world (and besides, some of my best friends are from the USA, thank you so much). No, I'm not going to leave this network and go be an oper on your tiny new Italian server just to be able to speak Italian. Besides, speaking Italian on IRC and about IRC weirds me out.
3. No damnit, we don't want to merge our network with yours. We split from another network in the first place, and we don't want to lose our individuality. How about you link your servers to our network instead? Oh, what's that? You don't want to do that, because it would make your network lose your individuality? Then shut up and stop asking other networks to join yours, ffs. You're asking others to do something you wouldn't like to do, that's stupid, not to mention rude.
4. Yes, I enjoy scripting for mIRC. Yes, I'm an op in #mirc. Yes, I'm a semi-regular in another mIRCscripting-related channel on another network. Yes, I hang out on a couple of forums and help people out with mIRC scripting, writing small code snippets for them and correcting their mistakes when I have time. Yes, I enjoy looking at other people's scripts to figure out how to do things. But:
- No, that does NOT make me a script-on-demand service. If you want somebody to script something for you, there's several good scripting forums where you can ask your question. I may even be the one who scripts what you want for you. But joining #mirc and demanding that I drop everything else I'm doing, and script something for you right now, is rude and annoying and will earn you a kickban if you do it again after being warned not to. It's a help channel, not a do-this-for-me channel.
- And for that matter, I've had enough of people showing me bits of code and asking "does this work?" I don't know if it works, I can't see what you're trying to do from a very random, very small snippet consisting of two lines of code. You have mIRC installed too, you test your own scripts and see if they work or not. A good question to ask when you're looking for help with a script is "why doesn't this work?", not "does this work?".
- Also for the sake of all that's holy, test your scripts before posting them with your "ooooh lookit me! I'm a good scripter!" airs. You'll save yourself the humiliation of me picking apart your script and highlighting all the wrong code in red, because I'm fed up with you posting scripts that don't work because you don't even know the basics of mIRC scripting. (Hint: if you call yourself good at scripting in mIRC, and then you have to ask what /amsg does, you're an idiot.)
- One could think that, after being kicked out of a channel three times in a row by a bot for flooding while attempting to paste your script into the channel so people could tell you if it worked or not, you'd grow a brain and realize that maybe, just maybe, you should paste the script on an external site rather than get kicked the fourth time. Alas, it was not to be.
- No, you can't paste your script to me in private so I can fix it for you. Use pastebin.org and paste the link in the channel if you want others to look at your script, and don't expect me to go through your messy code with a fine-toothed comb to pick out all the mistakes and make your script work. Troubleshooting a script is the author's responsibility.
- When I post a script example, I usually explain how it works. Reading my explanation will save you from looking dumb later.
- "I've found a bug in mIRC! [command that was introduced only in the newest version of mIRC] doesn't work!"
"Are you using the newest version of mIRC?"
Four times. One could think you'd have learned by now, but nooo...
- "I don't know what this command does." /help /command will pull up the helpfile, twit. RTFM.
(There. Now I feel better. ^^)
¤ 07:28 PM ¤
Comments (5) ¤
February 21, 2004
San Francisco gay marriages photos: 1 2 3 4 Just felt like sharing the links. Now excuse me as I go get moved to tears again...
¤ 04:42 PM ¤
Comments (1) ¤
February 16, 2004
Happy Valentine's Day!
- The Universe
(I like the rose better. It's pretty. Though the diamond doesn't sound bad either. ;)
¤ 02:52 AM ¤
Comments (0) ¤
February 14, 2004
Remember the penguin game I posted a few entries ago? Well, here's more penguin abuse. XD Whack penguins with a snowball and make them hit the target. My best so far is
73.2 76.4 (single hit... I didn't pay attention to the final score), I can't aim worth crap. :P
¤ 04:30 PM ¤
Comments (3) ¤
Happy Valentine's Day to everybody I love. And thank you for everything. :)
¤ 04:01 PM ¤
Comments (2) ¤
February 11, 2004
Go here, and pick "psycho pong". Good luck overcoming your reflexes. ;)
(And yes, I finished it. I'm too stubborn to not finish something like that. ;)
¤ 09:10 PM ¤
Comments (1) ¤
February 06, 2004
Yessir, we can code better now, sir
<Omega> spot the error: [url linked in the interests of clickability]
<jer> this is why its hard to defend microsoft.
<Omega> That's the markup I expect from frontpage anyway.
<Omega> It also shows MM.preload which is dreamweaver code.
<jer> so it wasn't fact checked my anyone with competence
<jer> musta been done by a graphic designer.
<Omega> I guess.
<Omega> You'd think they would fool proof such a banner.
<sailoreagle> they still should've doublechecked it before ... yeah
<Omega> I mean proof read.
<jer> it saddens me
<jer> and it lowers my pay :(
<jer> i should sue
¤ 07:37 PM ¤
Comments (1) ¤
February 02, 2004
Book meme thing
Yes, yes, I should be asleep and not doing this kind of thing, but I was wandering through weblogs/LJs and found this and heh, being the bookworm that I am...
Lifted from Kas, and stuffed in the extended entry since it's quite long:
Continue reading "Book meme thing"
¤ 03:39 AM ¤
Comments (5) ¤